Adrenal Fatigue And The Holiday Season – It’s A Minefield!
- 1 Adrenal Fatigue And The Holiday Season – It’s A Minefield!
- 2 How To Practice Damage Control And Protect Your Adrenals
- 3 REMEDY # 1 – Relaxing Practices To Help You Feel Calmer
- 4 REMEDY # 2 – Relaxing Herbs To Help You Feel Calmer
- 5 Remedy # 3 – Herbs Supplements and Tonics To Nourish Your Adrenals
- 6 Remedy # 4 – Change Your Mindset
- 7 Putting It All Together
As the holiday celebrations come to an end and the festivities wind down, it’s time to start thinking about adrenal fatigue remedies for the new year. Get the new year off to a great start by putting the excesses of the holiday season behind you and make a plan to heal your adrenal fatigue.
Make some new year resolutions for health before the year ends to make sure you’re prepared. You’ll be all set to head into the new year in the right way.
There are so many positive things about Christmas and the New Year season but it can be a challenging time for anyone with adrenal fatigue syndrome. Much about this time of year can place additional stress on your already fatigued adrenal glands.
BEFORE you get to the new year and start putting your adrenal health resolutions into practice, it’s good to try and limit the damage during the holiday season. Otherwise, there’s a very good chance you’ll head into the new year a completely worn out wreck.
The effort involved in shopping, cooking, socializing and partying at this busy time of year can be enjoyable, that’s true.
But all of this extra activity also puts strain on your limited energy reserves and can completely tire out your poor overworked adrenal glands even further.
You may also be working hard to complete deadlines in your job too as nobody wants to head into a new year with a backlog of work. So all in all, there’s a lot going on.
It’s worth thinking about how you can practice some damage control during this enjoyable but busy holiday season.
How To Practice Damage Control And Protect Your Adrenals
- Do Your Shopping Online – Gifts and food shopping can all be arranged from the comfort of your lounge room. You don’t have to face the bad weather, busy traffic and mad crowds in stores. Save time, energy and your sanity by shopping online from your sofa. While you’re at it browse this list for gift ideas your loved ones can give to YOU that could help with your current low energy state.
- Give Gift Cards – You can stress yourself out just trying to think of the perfect gifts for family and friends. Instead, take a chill pill and buy them a gift card from a store you know they love. Let them make the decision about what they really want and need and reduce your stress.
- Prioritize Your Socializing – Don’t feel obligated to attend every celebration or party you are invited to. Decide on which festive events you really want to go to, the ones you’ll find most enjoyable. Spend time only with people you love and who are uplifting company. Attending events because you feel obliged to will only wear you out, so learn to say thanks but no thanks. Limit the amount of time you spend at each of the get togethers can also be a good idea.
- Share The Cooking – Arrange for family to contribute to Christmas by bringing a plate of food. Or ask them to help you in the kitchen. It may not be the way you’ve traditionally done things, but who knows, you might even create a new tradition and enjoy the day even more.
- Let Go Of Your Idea Of Decorating Perfection – As much as you enjoy cleaning and decorating your home for Christmas, doing all that work can be taxing on your energy and adrenals. Try for a simplified style this year and tell your friends are family you’re going for a minimalist look. A simple tree and a decoration on the front door is enough to say “It’s Christmas” and welcome them to your home.
- Overindulgence – There are so many yummy temptations at this time of year it’s difficult not to overindulge. But try not to overload your system with alcohol and too many sweet temptations. Use a champagne glass for your sparkling mineral water and nobody will notice you’re not drinking alcohol.
Hopefully by practicing some damage control you’re not in worse shape than before the holiday season. Now, if you’re ready to start the new year and finally knock your adrenal fatigue on the head read on. Find some remedies that will relax your nervous system and nourish your adrenals giving them the support they need to heal.
REMEDY # 1 – Relaxing Practices To Help You Feel Calmer
- YOGA – Practice some simple restorative yoga each day.
- MEDITATION – Set up a time each day for a short guided meditation, perhaps 15 or 20 minutes before bedtime can help you sleep.
- DEEP BREATHING – Add some deep breathing at the start of your meditation practice to calm your adrenals and send a signal to let them know that you are safe.
- SLEEP – Make sure you are asleep by 10 pm each night to be in sync with the natural rhythm of your adrenals.
REMEDY # 2 – Relaxing Herbs To Help You Feel Calmer
- Chamomile – This herb is well-known for being calming and mildly sedative. Drink some chamomile tea before bed to encourage a restful sleep.
- Skullcap – This is a gentle herb, traditionally used to treat conditions like anxiety. It can really help you to switch off and get a good night’s sleep. Skullcap contains nutrients essential to help the nervous system function properly.
- Lavender – Is another herb well-known for its calming properties. Several human studies support lavender’s therapeutic effectiveness on the nervous system. Try diffusing some organic lavender oil in an oil burner for half an hour before bed. This will help ease you into a peaceful sleep.
Remedy # 3 – Herbs Supplements and Tonics To Nourish Your Adrenals
- Licorice – Acts as a mild tonic for the adrenals helping to increase endurance and energy. It also helps fortify cortisone levels which are usually low in later stages of adrenal fatigue.
- Vitamin C – This well-known vitamin is needed in high doses by your adrenals when they are under stress. Make sure you choose one that is easily absorbed and high quality like this one.
- Astragalus – Has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine as a tonic and powerful immune system stimulant. It is also an effective adaptogen which helps support the nervous system and negate the effects of stress within the body.
- Ashwagandha – This herb is one of the most important plants in the Aryuvedic system. Long known for its restorative and rejuvenating properties.
Ashwagandha is another effective adaptogen well-known for its ability to reduce harmful effects of stress on the body.
Remedy # 4 – Change Your Mindset
A huge component of being able to heal your adrenal fatigue depends on your mindset.
If you keep thinking as you always have, and doing what you always have, you’ll find complete healing pretty difficult to attain.
How you ended up with adrenal fatigue has a lot to do with your behavior.
Working long hours, eating badly and not stopping when your body tells you it’s exhausted are some of the reasons your adrenal glands are worn out.
Staying in jobs or relationships you’ve outgrown or even worse, that you hate, and surrounding yourself with toxic people can have a very bad effect on your adrenals and your overall health.
So as you go into the New Year, arm yourself with some supportive health practices. Choose some herbs and supplements that will help calm your nervous system and nourish your adrenals.
But stop and think about your daily habits, your work environment and your relationships too. There are some things you might need to let go off and the New Year is a great time to wipe the slate clean and make a new and healthier start.
Putting It All Together
Start right now by putting some damage control tactics in place to navigate the Christmas period. Then choose a few of the suggestions above to start the New Year. Find more in-depth information on how to heal your adrenals naturally here.
Please leave a comment below.