We hope you love the items we recommend, and just so you know, Quit Chronic Fatigue may receive a small commission from links in this post at no cost to you.
What Causes Adrenal Fatigue?
Balanced and well functioning adrenal glands play a big part in overall good health. An important function of your adrenals is the creation and regulation of cortisol. When your adrenals are working as they should, you become more able to handle life’s ups and downs. Daily challenges you come up against are dealt with smoothly.
But, your adrenal glands can become burned out from too much unrelenting stress as you are constantly asking them to overwork producing cortisol. When this happens, a study shows your adrenals struggle to produce cortisol in its natural rhythm.
Subsequently they sometimes produce too much and sometimes not enough cortisol. The end result of this cortisol dysregulation is that over time your adrenals become burned out. When this happens symptoms appear and it’s clear you need some help with your adrenal fatigue.
In days gone by humans felt stressed when being chased by a tiger, such a scenario is a very obvious and clearly recognizable form of stress. However, nowadays our fast paced lives present us with many smaller but still stressful situations every day.
Always running to beat the clock, getting to work on time and dealing with busy traffic, burning the candle at both ends, too much partying, being on a calorie restrictive diet, or working long hours are all forms of stress your adrenals recognize.
Your adrenals also react to the following forms of stress:
- Poor diet – too much processed food.
- Sensitivities to certain foods in your diet.
- Insufficient sleep.
- Emotional trauma.
- Over exercising.
- Sensitivities to environmental toxins e.g., Mold.
Taking on too much work out of a sense of obligation will make you sick. As will constantly pushing yourself beyond your limits to attain professional goals and denying yourself sufficient down time to recuperate.
Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms Include:
- A General Feeling Of Tiredness – it feels as though you are fighting off a cold or virus.
- Taking A Long Time To Wake Up In The Morning – it seems you take longer than usual to come fully awake.
- Experiencing An Energy Slump In The Middle Of The Afternoon – you often reach for a chocolate bar or a salty snack to keep you going through the afternoon.
- Feelings Of Anxiety – you feel nervy in situations where you normally wouldn’t.
- Feeling Wired And Tired – you are exhausted but can’t seem to relax sufficiently to switch off.
- Waking Up Regularly Around 3 am – you wake regularly at this time and have difficulty falling asleep again.
- Weight Gain Around Your Mid Section – you develop a ‘muffin top’ that wasn’t there before.
- Brain Fog And Memory Issues – it is difficult to concentrate and focus on tasks.
- Hair Loss – your hair is thinning all over and you notice more of it in your hairbrush.
- Inability To Exercise At Your Usual Intensity – your usual workout tires you out.
- Lightheadedness On Standing Up From A Lying Position – feelings of lightheadedness are new for you.
Adrenal Fatigue Treatment
If you want to effectively treat adrenal fatigue, you have to identify where your stress is coming from and manage it. Luckily, stress management is a skill that can be learned with a bit of practice. You can try deep breathing, guided meditation or some gentle restorative yoga. A walk outdoors in fresh air and nature is another great stress buster that can help you easily shrug off feelings of tension and stress.
As well as working out what is causing your stress, it’s also important to review your diet if you want to successfully treat your adrenal fatigue. A diet high in sugar and fat from processed and fast foods will do you more harm than good. Rather, eat protein, nutrient dense carbohydrate and healthy fat at each meal and snack.
Foods on the ‘Avoid’ list:
- All fast food.
- Products made from processed white flour.
- Foods that include sugar.
- Artificial sweeteners.
- Caffeine including coffee, tea and soft drinks
- Fried foods
Foods on the ‘Include’ list:
- Lean grass fed meats
- Wild caught fish
- Free range eggs
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Green leafy vegetables
- Unpasteurized dairy
- Low sugar fruits in moderation
- Himalayan and sea salt
- Healthy fats e.g., coconut oil, olive oil, avocados
Eating small meals and snacks regularly throughout the day to help blood sugar regulation and support your adrenals is beneficial. When you eat regular, balanced meals and a couple of small healthy snacks, your energy and cortisol levels will remain balanced throughout the day. Remember to stay adequately hydrated with plain filtered water, and ditch the plastic by carrying your water in a healthy water bottle.
What About Adrenal Health Supplements- Do They Help?
There are a few supplements that are great for adrenal fatigue support. One of those is Vitamin C and it is very important because the more cortisol is made, the more your body uses Vitamin C.
This vitamin cannot be manufactured in your body and has to be supplied from your food, and the adrenal glands use huge amounts of Vitamin C when they are under stress.
The quantities needed are way more than you can get from food which is why supplementing with Vitamin C is crucial for adrenal fatigue syndrome.
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is another important vitamin for adrenal health and again it is needed in high quantities when your adrenals are under stress.
Herbal Support – Why Choose Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health?
There are some very helpful herbs for adrenal fatigue, and these specific herbs are known as adaptogens. They help restore the body and bring it back into a balanced state.
Adaptogenic herbs help bring about a healthy response to chronic stress. They assist in regulating the stress hormones and cortisol production which in turn helps prevent adrenal fatigue and HPA axis dysfunction.
These powerful adaptogenic herbs do this by working to promote stress relief while providing support to your adrenal glands. If you want to aid in healing your adrenal fatigue, these herbs certainly help.
I’ve used Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health myself and found the product helped my adrenal fatigue in as little as a month. Of course, to provide all round support I also worked on reducing my stress and took a high quality, easily absorbable Vitamin C supplement too.
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Contains 4 Important Herbs Known To Support Adrenal Function
Native to North Africa and India this supportive herb works on the endocrine and nervous system. Known for its tonic and nourishing qualities, Ashwagandha helps your body adapt to stressful situations.
Ashwagandha’s botanical name is withania somnifera and it’s also known by a few other names including winter cherry and Indian ginseng. The health benefits of this herb are thought to come from the high concentration of withanolides contained in the herb. A study shows this compound has been shown to fight tumor growth and inflammation.
When your body produces too much cortisol it can deplete nutrient reserves, affect your memory, and have a negative effect on blood pressure, your blood sugar control and metabolism. Rhodiola has been proven to reduce the secretion of cortisol during stress.
An adrenal adaptogen, Rhodiola supports adrenal function and encourages a healthy response to stress. A study showed significant improvement in symptoms of stress, exhaustion and anxiety after only 3 days of using Rhodiola.
Also known as Tulsi in Ayurvedic medicine, Holy Basil helps protect organs and tissues from the chemical assault of heavy metals, industrial pollutants and the physical stress from too much physical exertion. It works to reduce stress and calm the nervous system.
Native to Russia and China, schisandra is commonly known as magnolia berry and has a stimulating effect on the nervous system. It is also known to be helpful in mental exhaustion. Research into Schisandra conclusively shows that it is a powerful anti anxiety and stress reducing herb helpful for treating fatigue.
Other IMPORTANT Reasons To Buy Gaia Adrenal Health
As well as buying a herbal formula that contains the most beneficial herbs, you may have concerns about contamination of herbs during the growing and manufacturing process. You want to be sure that along with the beneficial effect of the herbs you’re not swallowing a bunch of pesticides, heavy metals and chemicals.
Gaia have their own farm in North Carolina, and also work with other farmers/suppliers to meet their needs where quality control and strict adherence to organic growing practices is upheld. So you can rest assured that the quality you get from Gaia is topnotch.
- QUALITY – Gaia work to use only plants and seeds from sources whose organic methods and plant quality can be verified. They practice strict certified organic cultivation of their herbs and monitor their certified organic farmers to ensure they do the same.
- SUSTAINABILITY – Gaia promote purchasing, growing, and harvesting practices while working with indigenous communities to achieve a more sustainable life.
- VEGAN – All vegan liquid phyto capsules
- TRACEABILITY – Gaia offers a ‘Meet Your Herbs’ program which offers tracability of the herbs from seeds to the shelf. You can track the story of each herb used in Adrenal Health by entering the I.D. number on your bottle.
- PURITY – Gaia uses plants that must meet and exceed their standards for purity. Crop harvesting is carried out when the herbs are at their peak bio activity to ensure the key constituents are preserved. Every batch of herbs is separated upon arrival at their processing facility where analysis is carried out to confirm identity and quality. Tests are conducted to ensure each batch is free from contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, chemicals, mold, and other microbes.
- ETHICS – Gaia follow ethical business practices while working with partners locally and worldwide.
PROS OF TAKING GAIA ADRENAL HEALTH
- Each capsule contains a proprietary blend of herbs known to help adrenal fatigue syndrome.
- Gaia uses strict quality control methods from seed selection to processing.
- The liquid capsules are vegan and very easy to swallow. Although in potent liquid form the capsules make it easy to carry for travelling.
- You can trace the story of the herbs in your bottle via the Gaia site.
CONS OF TAKING GAIA ADRENAL HEALTH
- Honestly I can’t think of any. The price is a little higher than some adrenal formulas, however, the quality is verifiable. Each bottle contains 60 liquid phyto capsules with a recommended dosage of 2 capsules x twice per day. At this rate of use, a bottle lasts only a couple of weeks. However, you might find as I did that you don’t need to take such a high dose.
Putting It All Together
As well as taking this great herbal supplement by Gaia Herbs, you need to identify where the stress in your life is coming from and make the necessary changes to heal from adrenal fatigue.
I’d love to know what you think of Gaia Adrenal Health. Please leave any comments below.