Are You Awake Regularly Around 3am Every Morning?
Waking from a restful sleep regularly around 3 am each morning with difficulty getting back to sleep is one of the main symptoms of adrenal fatigue. At a time when your body needs rejuvenating sleep to heal your stressed out adrenals, it seems getting a full night of restful sleep is impossible.
Having difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep in adrenal fatigue is due to disruption of the adrenal hormones. Cortisol production spikes at all the wrong times, keeping you awake late at night and waking you up when it shouldn’t. Until you provide the adrenals with what they need to heal you’ll find it very difficult to sleep normally again.
This ‘Best Of Sleep Aids For Adrenal Fatigue’ article will give you some tips and ideas for products to help you fall asleep comfortably and stay asleep. Getting a good sleep is so important while you work on making the lifestyle changes necessary to reduce stress and heal your adrenals.
Previous to diagnosed with adrenal fatigue syndrome I had never heard of this illness. All I knew was that I felt constantly exhausted. But at the same time as experiencing never ending fatigue, I felt strangely wired and nervy and I was unable to stay asleep during the whole night.
Being wide awake at 3.15 am every morning became a regular pattern for me. And even worse, I couldn’t get back to sleep again. My alarm clock went off at 6am and I was exhausted, and not at all ready to start another busy day as I suffered the mounting effect from my regular sleep deficit.
Strong coffee became my breakfast must have as well as a constant companion during the day. Caffeine was necessary to kick start my morning and to keep me going throughout the day.
Of course, I now know, drinking coffee is one of the worst things you can do for adrenal fatigue syndrome as it pushes your poor exhausted adrenal glands to work even harder, when what they need is to switch off, rest and rejuvenate.
So my number 1 tip for getting a good sleep is to give up coffee. I know it’s difficult when it seems like caffeine and sugar are essential components to help you through each day in your fatigued state. But, this habit will only making your situation worse.
The longer you continue to push your adrenals with the stimulating effects from caffeine and sugar, the longer it will take for your adrenal glands to heal.
Getting to sleep and staying asleep, is a bit of an art in our stressful fast paced modern world, even if you without suffering from adrenal fatigue. Many people are pushing themselves with overwork and stress making it difficult for their body to relax sufficiently and get a good night’s sleep. Also, many simply aren’t getting enough sleep. Try to get at least eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
If you have adrenal fatigue, it’s important to work WITH your body’s natural diurnal rhythm and be asleep by 10pm regularly every night. If you stay up past this time you can get a second wind and find yourself more alert into the eraly hours of the morning, and sleep becoming elusive.
Burning the midnight oil is definitely inadvisable if you suffer from adrenal fatigue. It is really important to set up regular working, relaxing and sleeping times.
This post lists several products that can help provide natural adrenal support, not only in the form of a great supplement to help heal your adrenals and calm your system for restful sleep.
But, it also gives suggestions on how to wind down at night to enable your system to calm down and get ready for a comfortable and supportive sleep.
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Nightly Restore
Hopefully you are working on making changes to your diet and lifestyle and reducing your stress levels. Both of these important actions are necessary if you want true and long-lasting healing for your adrenals.
You will also benefit from using some supplements to help with adrenal healing. Vitamin C is crucial for healing as your adrenals use high levels of this vitamin during times of stress and it’s impossible to get the required amount from food alone.
Another useful supplement for both adrenal health and helping you feel relaxed is magnesium. Magnesium is used for many enzymatic processes in the body and acts a bit like a spark plug for your energy system and adrenal glands.
It also makes an essential contribution to the adrenal cascade manufacturing hormones like cortisol which in turn helps your body deal with stress. Magnesium helps you feel calm as it helps improve your stress response. Taken during the evening it can calm you down assisting you to fall asleep easily.
Taking a magnesium supplement is important, but taking the right form of magnesium that can be easily absorbed by your body is equally important.
Additionally, you can use herbs to support your adrenals and this formula from Gaia herbs is very helpful to use at night if getting restful sleep is a problem. Made to a vegan formulation each capsule contains a blend of herbs known to support a healthy endocrine system as well as helping support normal sleep patterns while you rest.
Each liquid filled capsule contains the following useful herbs:
- LEMON BALM – Is a herb used since ancient times for treating anxiety and promoting restful sleep.
- ASHWAGANDHA – A herbal adaptogen that supports a healthy endocrine system and assists in promoting healthy sleep patterns. A study showed that Ashwagandha showed a sleep promoting effect.
- REISHI and CORDYCEPS MUSHROOMS – Boost immunity and are helpful in lowering the stress response and improving sleep quality.
- LICORICE – Known as one of the top herbs for adrenal exhaustion, it contains glycyrrhizic acid which inhibits the breakdown of cortisol, helping to restore its levels.
- CINNAMON – Can calm nervousness and help to stabilize blood sugar. When blood sugar is stable you suffer fewer spikes in cortisol levels which can disrupt your sleep.
Gaia Herbs is a quality herbal supplement brand with strict quality control methods in place that allows you to track the origin of the organically grown herbs used in each bottle. As with all natural supplements, this doesn’t work overnight. It’s not a sleeping pill, but works to heal the cause of your poor sleep quality. However, with regular use you should start to see an improvement in your sleep.
Gamma Ray 003 Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses
Studies show that blue light emitted by your computer, tablet or phone screens can disrupt sleep patterns. Preparing to get a good night’s sleep begins several hours before you actually go to bed for the night. It is recommended that you stop looking at screens about 4 hours before your intended bedtime if you want to be able to drop off to sleep easily.
However, nowadays in our digital age it might not be possible. So many of us use time after work to relax and watch TV, or use e-readers etc. Investing in a pair of blue light blocking glasses could be useful if this is the case.
Blue light is seen by your body as daylight, and being exposed to blue light during the evening pushes your internal body clock later and suppresses the production of melatonin. In turn making it more difficult to drop off to sleep. The effects of blue light from screens also disrupts sleep and makes it harder to wake up in the morning. Many people with adrenal fatigue already have a problem coming to full wakefulness in the morning. So the effects of too much screen time during the evening can make this issue worse.
A study shows significant improvement in sleep quality when blue light blocking glasses were used 3 hours prior to going to sleep.
- MADE FROM – Lightweight but durable and plastic frame with non polarized plastic lenses.
- DIMENSIONS – The lens width is 53 millimeters.
- PACKAGE INCLUDES – A pair of blue light blocking glasses with amber tinted lenses. A frame case and cleaning cloth are also included.
- READERS – You can choose the magnification you need for comfortable use.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – A Risk free 90 Days Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee comes with the glasses which includes a lifetime frame and lens breakage warranty.
After using these blue light blocking glasses for around a week while watching TV at night I noticed a difference in the quality of my sleep, I seem to sleep more soundly. I think they are definitely worth trying. Not only to help with adrenal fatigue, but they’ll also help take some strain off your eyes too if you’re spending too much time on your computer at night.
iHome Zenergy Meditative Light And Sound Candle
Nobody can deny the soothing effect candle light has. I once had a power outage during a long weekend and had to use candles to provide light in the evenings. It was amazing how restfully I slept with the combination of no screen time and the effects of candle light at night.
Using candles may not be practical, but this nifty gadget might just be the next best thing to candlelight for your bedside. Not only does it provide light therapy with it’s dimmable flickering candle light effect and choice of lighting color. But it also provides soothing meditation by way of a guided breath coach.
- MEDITATE – With a breathing coach using the 4-7-8 method. You can use it with or without the voice coach.
- SOUNDS – Select different background sounds depending on your mood. Calming Ocean sound, Thunder storm, White noise and more.
- LIGHT SELECTION – Flickering candle effect lighting with a selection of different colors to choose from.
- PROGRAMABLE – Setting the timer allows you to gradually decrease the light and volume as you drift off to sleep.
- LED LIGHTING – Due to the color selection for the light color you can select a softer more yellow light than normal LED lighting.
- POWER – Can be plugged in to a power source or used with batteries making it more portable.
After some soothing meditation and deep breathing to relax your adrenals and let them know you’re not in danger, this gadget will have you gradually drifting off to a peaceful sleep in no time.
Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress
One of the most important components of getting a good sleep is having a comfortable mattress. If you are trying to sleep well on a lumpy uncomfortable old mattress, you’ll have difficulty.
A mattress should provide even support for your body. Ideally, you should choose a memory foam mattress as it has the ability to redistribute your body weight evenly while sleeping. This means there is no additional pressure on your spine and joints.
Memory foam was first developed for space travel to cushion the harsh effects of take off for astronauts. It then developed further for medical applications to protect and cushion patients while in hospital intensive care units.
The pressure relieving properties of memory foam are useful in helping reduce pressure pain and bed sores. Unlike springs and other materials used in traditional coil mattresses, memory foam does not place added pressure on the user.
If you also have allergies or asthma these are other good reasons to choose a memory foam mattress. Pretty much every home has dust mites and they love to live in your bedroom. Although they are generally harmless they can be a cause of indoor allergies.
The loose structure of the fiber padding used in a traditional spring mattress makes it easy for dust mites to collect. However, the material used in a dense memory foam mattress makes it far less possible for dust mites to set up home. This dense structure of the memory foam also limits the proliferation of other allergens like pet dander and mold.
- ADDITIONAL OFFER – The mattress comes with 2 free Nectar pillows.
- SUPPORT – Offers an optimal level of comfort with ideal firmness and breath ability. Naturally molds to your body shape providing support.
- COOLING – Built in cooling effect, even on summer nights, regulating temperature during the night.
- TRY IT AT HOME – With a 180 night home trial you can try the mattress risk-free for 180 days. If you find it is not the mattress for you, simply return it (Amazon customers only).
- WARRANTY – The Nectar memory foam mattress is guaranteed as you own the mattress.
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow
Your mattress is one component useful in helping you to get a restful sleep, but your choice of pillow is equally important. There is nothing worse than waking up with a painful stiff neck or shoulder pain due to lying on a non supportive pillow overnight.
Since the development of memory foam so many great new improvements have been made to pillows. No longer do you need to suffer using lumpy, non supportive pillows. There are so many different shapes and sizes of memory foam pillows available too.
This weirdly shaped EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow offers comfort no matter if you are a side sleeper, you sleep on your back or you prefer sleeping on your stomach.
- ERGONOMIC SHAPE – The unusual contoured design of the pillow supports your neck, head, shoulders and back helping you fall asleep faster and sleep deeply during the night.
- MATERIALS – Manufactured from breathable and cool memory foam that allows good air circulation. The cover is manufactured from soft rayon/polyester.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – This pillow comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. So if you try the pillow and find it’s not right for you it can be returned for a full refund.
Eucalyptus Tencel Lyocell Sheets By Elegant Bedding
Of course the final component to making sure your bed is comfortable is selecting comfortable sheets to sleep in. Choosing the right sheet set can be a difficult task. It can be a process of trial and error while you try several unsuitable products that can become scratchy and uncomfortable after a few washes, or you find the sheets are hot causing you many sleepless and sweaty nights.
Recent technology has produced a new type of Tencel fabric made from eucalyptus fiber. These fibers are both soft and incredibly durable, making them ideal for use in bedding. Not only that, but wood pulp from eucalyptus trees is a renewable resource. So you can sleep easy knowing your doing your bit for the environment.
These sheets are cool, comfortable and incredibly soft making getting a good night’s sleep easy.
- MATERIALS – 100% Tencel Lyocell using fiber from eucalyptus trees
- BREATHABLE – 300 thread count, naturally breathable and hypoallergenic fabric.
- COMFORT – Silky soft and cool touch.
- INCLUDES – Queen Size set 1 x Flat Sheet 92X102″, 1 x Fitted Sheet 60X80″ (18″ Pockets) and 2 x Standard Pillowcases each 20X30″ size.
TruHugs Bamboo Lyocell Weighted Blanket – Cool Sensory
Weighted blankets are proven scientifically to deactivate the sympathetic nervous system. A study found that sleep time increased and participants of the study had a calmer night’s sleep when using a weighted blanket.
The effects can be described as ‘earthing’ or ‘grounding’. Grounding has been shown to reduce the levels of cortisol produced during nighttime. This not only helps you feel less anxious, but if cortisol levels are reduced at night (as they naturally should be) then you should sleep a whole lot better.
This weighted blanket from TruHugs is one of the better quality weighted blankets around and is made to last.
- QUALITY – The blanket is made from 400 thread count 100% cotton which is both breathable and durable. Tiny glass beads are used to provide the weight of the blanket. This allows the blanket to provide the right weighted feel while supplying a cooler sensation than the plastic beads used in many other weighted blankets. The glass beads are woven into tight air pockets whose dimensions help make sure the weighted pressure stays in place within the blanket, even when you move around during the night.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY – The duvet cover is made from biodegradable bamboo Lycell. This also makes it naturally antimicrobial, breathable and hypoallergenic.
- MAINTAINENCE – Easy to maintain by either machine or hand washing.
Putting It All Together
So there you have it, a whole bunch of ideas for helping you get to sleep and stay asleep. Reading through the tips and helpful products here, you are bound to find them useful for getting a good night’s sleep with adrenal fatigue. Remember though, you need to make appropriate diet and lifestyle changes too if you want to experience lasting improvement in your adrenal health.
Please let me know what you think about some of these suggestions, or feel free to leave a query in the comments section below.