10 Minutes To A Better Start To Your Day.
Breakfasts always seem to be rushed or skipped altogether. But they don’t have to be if you can learn how to make simple pancakes. But not just any old pancakes and definitely not pancakes made from a packet-mix full of ingredients whose names you either can’t pronounce or consist of a bunch of numbers.
You can get your day off to a healthy and energetic start with this fast and easy protein rich pancake recipe. Ingredients like ricotta cheese and oat bran provide healthy protein and carbohydrates to keep you full until morning break time.
Learn how to make simple pancakes using this recipe and you’ll be doing yourself a favor by fueling your body with the healthy food it needs for energy as well as keeping your blood sugar levels stable. All it takes is around 10 minutes to make these simple pancakes.
Here Is What Happens When You Eat Pancakes Made With White Flour.
White flour is high on the Glycemic Index. Foods with a high glycemic index are quickly digested and cause your blood sugar levels to rise very quickly, but then it falls quickly too, leaving you feeling tired quickly.
Particularly if you have adrenal fatigue, it is important to keep your blood sugar levels stable to take stress of the adrenals.
For sustained energy in the morning, it is better to choose a good protein source combined with some unrefined carbohydrates and healthy fats. This will provide a more stable energy source and your blood sugar won’t spike as it does with refined carbohydrates.
In addition to providing energy, a protein rich breakfast fills you up and can keep you energetic until lunchtime.
The outside part of the oat grain, oat bran can be found in health food stores and increasingly in some supermarkets. It offers good amounts of protein, vitamins and minerals like zinc selenium.
Oat bran is also a good soluble fiber source which is known to reduce LDL (or bad) cholesterol by reducing the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream.
When it enters the digestive system, its soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gel like consistency helping to create a feeling of fullness. This is due to it containing 50% more fiber than oatmeal.
Choosing gluten free oat bran as a better choice, although it might be a little more difficult to find than regular oat bran.
Another great protein source ricotta cheese was originally made from the whey of milk, most commonly cow’s milk was used but it can also be made from water buffalo and sheep milk too. Nowadays most commercially manufactured ricotta is made from full milk and usually cow’s milk.
The ricotta used in this recipe needs to be smooth so that it mixes well with the other ingredients to form pancakes that hold together during cooking. Its smooth neutral taste works well with the other simple ingredients in the pancakes.
The neutral flavor of the pancakes lends itself to many types of toppings.
- Berries and yogurt.
- Finely diced tomatoes and cucumber.
- Pureed apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Sliced bananas and cacao chips.
- Plain unsweetened yogurt, chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
When you make these healthy pancakes for breakfast, make sure to use good cookware. This is the skillet I use, it’s a healthy alternative to using non stick cookware and cooks the pancakes evenly.
Simple Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 cup Gluten free oat bran
- 2 medium Egg whites
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Smooth ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Coconut oil for frying
- 2 tbsp Frozen mixed berries for serving
- In a bowl, mix together the oat bran, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg whites, water and ricotta.
- Add the wet to dry ingredients and beat well for a minute until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based skillet. Making 2- 3 pancakes depending on how large you want them, drop the mixture into the skillet cooking for 2-3 minutes before flipping over to the other side and cooking another couple of minutes.
- Once cooked place in a dish and top with berries.
Please feel free to leave a comment below.