We hope you love the items we suggest, and just so you know, Quit Chronic Fatigue may receive a small commission from links in this post at no cost to you.
Poor Sleep – One Of The Most Frustrating Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome Symptoms
Getting a good night’s restorative sleep is pretty impossible if you have adrenal fatigue syndrome. Waking in the early hours around 3am is one of the most annoying symptoms of this illness and often the most puzzling to understand.
When you are lying in bed wide awake once again in the early morning hours you’d do anything to improve adrenal fatigue syndrome symptoms.
You are probably asking, how come you have very little energy during the day, climb into bed exhausted each evening only to come wide awake again in the early hours with no hope of falling back to sleep again? Why is it you are SO exhausted but your body won’t let you sleep.
It doesn’t make any sense. Your body craves sleep but you just can’t seem to stay asleep at night. You are only managing to catch a few hours sleep each night, no wonder you feel exhausted each day. What is going on?
The reason for this poor sleep quality is due to dysregulation of cortisol which should ebb and flow in a natural rhythm each day. Normally it is high in the morning to wake you up and low in the evening to allow you to fall asleep.
But, due to all the stress you’ve been putting on your adrenals, this natural cortisol rhythm becomes disrupted. Now, you are exhausted in the middle of the afternoon and wide awake at 3 am. Everything seems topsy turvy. And, despite feeling constantly exhausted, you also have a feeling of being wired and tired at the same time.
When your alarm clock rings in the morning you crawl out of bed heading towards the coffee machine to get your regular caffeine jolt to wake you up and give you enough energy to kick start your day.
But the bad news is caffeine is bad for your adrenals, pushing them to work even harder in their exhausted burned out state. If you want to start sleeping well, as a first step, give up coffee.
This will seem almost impossible, particularly when you are using caffeine and sugar for energy to help you get through each day in your exhausted state. However, in the long run drinking coffee will only making your situation worse.
The longer you push your adrenals with the stimulating effects from coffee or other caffeine laden drinks, the longer it will take for your adrenal glands to recover.
Work With Your Body’s Natural Diurnal Rhythms
Getting to sleep and managing a full night’s restorative sleep in our fast paced modern world, even if you don’t have adrenal fatigue is not always easy.
Many of us push ourselves by working long hours, overworking and living a stress filled life. This makes it difficult for you to wind down, relax and get a good night’s sleep. The key is to aim for getting 8 hours of solid uninterrupted sleep each night.
When you have adrenal fatigue, you need to work with your body’s natural diurnal rhythm. To do this, aim to be asleep by 10pm regularly each night. Staying up past this time in the evening means you get a second wind.
Subsequently, if you are awake during this ‘second wind’ stage, you’ll find yourself more alert into the early hours of the morning. If you continue with this late night habit, sleep becomes ever more difficult to attain.
Other Important Changes For Adrenal Fatigue Help
To heal completely from adrenal fatigue syndrome it is important to make lifestyle changes to reduce your stress levels. Eating a healthy whole food diet is also crucial to ensure you are getting the nutrients your adrenals need.
Using supplements critical to adrenal healing will also help you recover. One supplement which is vital to healing adrenal fatigue syndrome is Vitamin C. Your adrenals need high levels of this vitamin during stressful times. It is impossible to obtain the high quantities of Vitamin C your adrenals need from food alone making quality supplementation a must.
Magnesium is used in several enzymatic processes and acts like a spark plug for your body’s energy system and adrenal glands. It also helps you feel relaxed and is good to take around 8pm each evening to help you relax into sleep.
It also contributes to the adrenal cascade helping in the manufacture of hormones like cortisol which in turn helps your body deal with stress. Magnesium helps improve your response to stress and helps to calm you down. And taking the right form of magnesium, one that can be easily absorbed by your body is also important.
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Nightly Restore
As well as using some high quality nutritional supplements to aid in all round adrenal fatigue healing, there are some very useful adaptogenic herbs that provide support to help you sleep through the night and catch up on your body’s sleep deficit from too many sleepless nights.
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Nightly Restore is taken at night and is useful for helping get a restful sleep.
Each capsule contains a synergistic blend of herbs well known to support healthy endocrine function and support normal sleep patterns.
Inside each vegan, liquid filled capsule are the following useful herbs:
- LEMON BALM – This herb has been used since ancient times for treating anxiety and promoting restful sleep. A member of the mint family, it is used in cooking as well as for medicinal purposes. Some other medicinal uses for lemon balm include pain relief, relieving indigestion and it also has useful antibacterial and antioxidant qualities. The key ingredient contributing to this herb’s sleep aid properties is the substance eugenol.
- ASHWAGANDHA – A herbal adaptogen that supports a healthy endocrine system and assists in promoting healthy sleep patterns. A study showed that Ashwagandha has a sleep promoting effect. Ashwagandha is classed as an adaptogen, a tonic and mild sedative in herbal medicine. As an adaptogen it has the ability to help you better cope with stress.
- CORDYCEPS and REISHI MUSHROOMS – Boost immunity and are known to help in lowering the stress response and helpful to encourage quality sleep. Cordyceps have been dried and used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries to treat fatigue among other things.
- LICORICE – One of the most well known herbs for treating adrenal fatigue. It contains the substance glycyrrhizic acid which helps prevent the breakdown of cortisol, helping to restore its levels.
- CINNAMON – Helps stabilize blood sugar levels, so important in helping adrenal fatigue syndrome. Keeping blood sugar stable to prevent spikes in cortisol levels which can disrupt your rest offers effective help in sleeping through the night.
- MAGNOLIA BARK – Helps calm nervousness and supports sleep. A study shows magnolia bark helps reduce the time taken to fall asleep and is useful to increase the amount of time you stay in both REM and non REM sleep. Both types of sleep are important to ensure you are getting full restorative sleep.
As well as buying an adrenal night time formula containing a blend of beneficial herbs, you should also select a product where the ingredients are supplied without contamination during both the growing and processing stages.
There is little point in using herbs for their beneficial effects if you are also swallowing pesticides, chemicals and heavy metals along with the active ingredients.
Adrenal Health Nightly Restore is a quality herbal supplement made by Gaia Herbs who implement strict quality control methods. You can track the origin of the organically grown herbs included in each bottle by using the code on your container and logging on to Gaia Herbs.
As well as having their own farm in North Carolina, Gaia work closely only with farmers and suppliers who meet their strict quality control practises. They also closely monitor adherence to organic growing practices, so you can be sure that the quality you get from Gaia is unequalled.
- VEGAN – Capsules are all vegan.
- ORGANIC SUSTAINABLE QUALITY – Gaia work to use only plants and seeds sourced from farmers using organic methods where plant quality can be verified. Ecologically harvested and responsibly sourced ashwagandha, mimosa bark and magnolia bark are used in this formulation.
- SUSTAINABILITY – Gaia work with indigenous communities helping them attain a sustainable lifestyle.
- TRACEABILITY – The ‘Meet Your Herbs’ program Gaia offers gives you the ability to track the herbs from seed products to the shelf. You can easily track the story of each herb used in Adrenal Health Nightly Restore by entering the I.D. number on your bottle. Gaia validate the herbs at every stage in production.
- PURITY – Gaia use plants that must meet and exceed their standards for purity. Crops are harvested at a time which ensures their peak bio activity. In this way the key constituents are preserved. Analysis is carried out on each individual batch of herbs on reaching their processing facility to identify quality and confirm identity. Tests are carried out to ensure there is no contamination from heavy metals, pesticides, chemicals and microbes.
- ETHICS – Gaia follow ethical business practices while working with local and worldwide partners. They promise that formulas are made with organic and ecologically harvested herbs and no fillers or binders are used in their products.
PRO’s Of Gaia Adrenal Health Nightly Restore
- Pure and verified quality control of contents.
- Gentle, natural help for adrenal fatigue insomnia.
CON’s Of Gaia Adrenal Health Nightly Restore
- The price is not the cheapest for a herbal product, however the quality is excellent.
- Each container has only 60 capsules which will last only one month, however some people may need to take this supplement for a longer period.
Putting It All Together
All natural supplements take some time to start working, and Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Nightly Restore doesn’t work overnight. It’s not a drug or a sleeping pill.
However, it works to help resolve the cause of your poor sleep quality. With regular nightly use you should gradually start to see an improvement in the quality of your sleep.
Once you catch up on your sleep deficit and your adrenals begin to heal you’ll be sleeping through the entire night once again and adrenal fatigue syndrome symptoms will be a thing of the past.
As always, please feel free to leave a comment below.