Sometimes you just get a hankering for comfort food…….
The challenge is how to make comfort food that is healthy and relatively low carb, but still has the feel-good qualities of comfort food that you crave.
Classic stuffed pepper recipes normally use rice as one of the main ingredients, however to reduce the carb count there is no rice used in this recipe. With a hearty taste this stuffed peppers with mince recipe still manages to fit the bill as a comfort food.
Stuffed peppers recipes have roots in various regions around the world, India, Spain, Turkey, the Middle East and Mexico to name a few. Each country has their own version of this favorite recipe.
This version of an old faithful comfort food recipe is based on Mediterranean flavours and uses chicken mince, but pasture fed organic beef mince could also be used. It’s a versatile dish that’s delicious as a brunch, lunch or light dinner recipe.
Husbands and kids are sure to love it. Beautifully flavourful, a crisp green salad is all that’s needed to turn it into a satisfying meal.
Using a little bone broth in this recipe adds depth to the flavour and you get the added health benefits from the minerals in the broth too. If you need a bone broth recipe try this one https://quitchronicfatigue.com/homemade-chicken-bone-broth-recipe.
With its high protein levels, free range organic chicken mince using a mix of breast and thigh meat provides the most flavour.
Who could resist the beautiful colour of a red pepper? An excellent source of Vitamins A, C and B6 as well as being a good fiber source, peppers also have a fantastic fresh flavour which intensifies once baked. They are a versatile vegetable eaten raw or cooked they are equally delicious.
An excellent source of antioxidants and Vitamin C, tomatoes are also a great source of lycopene a plant polyphenol linked to the prevention of one type of prostate cancer prevention.
You want to make this recipe as healthy as possible so make sure your cookware is healthy too. I used this great skillet https://quitchronicfatigue.com/non-stick-cookware-is-dangerous-change-to-a-healthier-option-le-creuset-buffet-casserole-review
Stuffed Peppers with Mince
A tasty low carb version of the classic comfort food made with chicken mince.
- 2 large red peppers
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 240 grams organic chicken mince
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 300 grams canned tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano and basil chopped
- 60 grams mixed grated cheese
- 3 medium mushrooms chopped
- 50 ml chicken bone broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
Halve the peppers length-ways removing the seeds and core but keep the stalks on. Drizzle a little olive oil inside the peppers and season well. Place on a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- Whilst the peppers are roasting, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet and cook the shallots until soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cumin for one minute to release the flavors, then add the mushrooms and cook one minute more.
- Now tip in the chicken mince and stir for a few minutes to cook the chicken.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, broth and herbs. Cook to reduce the liquid, it should no be watery.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and fill with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 15 minutes.